Dear Prince William friends, families, and neighbors,
Now that the active phase of our latest winter snowstorm is done and Northern Virginia digs out, here’s the latest update provided this morning by VDOT to all state legislators.
As of 5am this morning, interstates and primaries in NoVA are mostly in passable condition, and crews are working hard on secondary roads and subdivision streets. Motorists should continue to limit travel, but if traveling is a must, use extreme caution.
Crews are working 12-hour shifts, around the clock, to plow and treat all roads. Drivers should be alert to varying conditions and sudden changes to the road surfaces.
Other important information you should know:
- HOV restrictions are lifted today due to the federal government closure.
- Traffic is increasing, so drivers are asked to limit their travel to permit the movement of heavy vehicles working the situation.
- If travel is a must, be alert to heavy equipment moving large volumes of snow. Reduce speeds and stay a safe distance of at least five seconds behind other vehicles. Please do not pass snowplows and other snow equipment.
- Expect limited visibilities from high snow mounds near merges, intersections, and ramps.
- As snow operations continue, passable secondary and some primary roads may have only one lane and narrow access points. Some may not be cleared yet curb-to-curb.
Some helpful VDOT resources:
- Check www.511virginia.org for current road conditions.
- Follow NoVA VDOT on Twitter at @VaDOTNOVA.
- VDOT’s Northern Virginia District includes Prince William, Loudoun, Fairfax, and Arlington Counties.
In closing, we’ve fielded a number of calls from our 51st House District neighbors about missed streets during VDOT plowing operations. If you experience this or other problems and are not able to get through to VDOT at any of its on-line or telephone tools, let us know and we’ll get to VDOT on your behalf. Our Richmond office while we’re in the 2016 session of the Virginia General Assembly (through March 12th) is 804-698-1051. I’m at DelRAnderson@house.virginia.gov. My right-hand man, Legislative Aide Ryan Galloway, is at RGalloway@house.virginia.gov.
Stay warm, but MOST OF ALL, stay safe…and please let us know anytime we may assist you or your family!
RICHARD L. ANDERSON
Delegate, 51st House District
Virginia General Assembly